Sunday, November 7, 2010

Carlebach Minyan – 11.7.10

In preparation for the initiation of the Mordot Teverya Carlebach Minyan, all of the odds and ends from the lift, the Yerushalayim delivery, etc. were transferred out onto the multi-purpose balcony as we converted our living room and dining room areas into a "Makom Tefilla." The 3M stick-on hooks that we had purchased and stuck up a couple of days earlier seemed to be holding up well. The white lacy tablecloth connected to the hooks would serve as the mechitza. The shtender was positioned in the front of the room and the large "Shaliach Tzibbur Siddur" – Yes, Ashkenazi – was set on top of it.

With my parents visiting from NY and the three Yeshiva guys from Yerushalayim that were joining us for Shabbat, we were already halfway towards a minyan. Two men arrived on foot and two more by car. And that was it. Nine. Despite all of the e-mails and phone calls (and confirmed commitments), we had nine – and sunset was fast approaching.

I roamed the street a bit hoping to find a wandering tenth, but our quiet street was very quiet – not a soul in sight.

And then I remembered my dear landlord, Rafi. I decided to knock on his door.

A couple of minutes later, Rafi completed our minyan and Tefillah began.

I'm not sure if my feeling of joy was due to the fact that Shabbat was beginning, that we had managed to pull together the minyan or that I finally had the opportunity to daven Nusach Ashkenaz.

No comments:

Post a Comment