Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Rent-A-Car – 11.2.10

We've been renting a 7-seater Kia Carnival minivan for the past two months. Buying a car is definitely on the "To-Do List", but until we actually make the purchase, renting is really the only viable option. The Kia Carnival is designed to hold seven passengers who do not travel with any bags, packages, suitcases, etc. Being of family of six, we've been able to get by, using the "extra space" to transport our "stuff" as needed.

Grandma and Grandpa's visit would necessitate a vehicle change. How difficult could that be?

  • Oct. 18 (Mon.) - I contact the rental company and inform them that I would need to exchange the Kia Carnival for a Hyundai H1 – a 9-seater vehicle. I tell them that ideally I would like to make this exchange on Thursday, Oct. 28. They would have to get back to me about the availability.

  • Oct. 21 (Thu.) – I learn that the Hyundai H1 will only be available on Monday, Nov. 1. I agree to exchange the vehicles on Monday, Nov. 1 at about 5pm.
  • Oct. 27 (Wed.) – I receive a call from someone at the rental agency confirming that I will be coming in to exchange the vehicle tomorrow (Thu., Oct. 28). I tell her that I was informed that the Hyundai H1 would not be available until Monday. She says that she will look into it and get back to me. I never hear from her again.
  • Oct. 28 (Thu.) – I contact the rental company to confirm that the Hyundai H1 will, in fact, be available for pickup on Monday afternoon. I am told that everything should be all set, but he will call back after he confirms the arrangements. I never hear back from him.
  • Oct. 31 (Sun.) – I receive a message late in the day from the rental company to contact them.
  • Nov. 1 (Mon.), 8am – I receive a call in the morning from the rental agency. The representative informs me that I need to be in Haifa to exchange the car by 11am. I tell him (not using my indoor voice) that this was unacceptable and that it was impossible for me to exchange the vehicle before 5pm. He told me that if I could not come before 11am, then I would have to wait until tomorrow (Tue., Nov. 2).
  • Nov. 1 (Mon.), 10am – I contact the central office and speak with the woman who made the original arrangement for me. She blames the Haifa branch and tells me that the manager of the Haifa branch won't be available until after 12pm. I tell her (still not using my indoor voice) that I need this resolved now. She tells me that she will try to get him a message to contact me immediately. I don't hear back from her or from the manager of the Haifa branch.
  • Nov. 1 (Mon.), 1pm – I contact the manager of the Haifa branch. He accepts that this has been a "Balagan". He also tells me the story behind this "Balagan":
    Ø It seems that when I made the arrangements to pick up the Hyundai H1 on "Yom Sheini" = Monday, someone at the rental agency understood that to mean "Yom Sheini" of November =
    Nov. 2 (Tue.)
    Ø The rental agency booked a reservation for another customer for a 7-seater minivan (like "my" Kia Carnival) for a one-day rental, from Monday, Nov. 1(11am) – Tuesday, Nov. 2. Thus, I could either return the Kia by 11am on Monday and take the Hyundai H1, or wait until the other customer returned the Hyundai H1 on Tuesday.
    I tell the manager that his explanation does not excuse their incompetence and unprofessionalism. I told him that I expect the company to compensate me for their "Balagan". He tells me that he will contact "the boss" and they'll see what they can do… In the meantime, the Hyundai H1 will be available for pickup after 12pm on Tuesday, Nov. 2

  • Nov. 2 (Tue.), 2pm – I contact the branch manager and confirm that he has the Hyundai H1 and that it is ready for pickup. He also tells me that they have agreed to provide me with additional mileage on the vehicle. I tell him that I don't need extra mileage and that they should try again. He agrees to contact "the boss" again…
  • Nov. 2 (Tue.), 5pm – I arrive at the rental car place and return the Kia Carnival. The manager informs me that "the boss" has agreed to deduct 100 shekel from the rental cost. That's a little better.
  • Nov. 2 (Tue.), 6pm – One of the headlight bulbs on the Hyundai H1 has been successfully replaced and we are ready to return to Teverya.
See? Simple.

1 comment:

  1. I think you forgot the part about the car doesn't always start on the first try...

    ReplyDelete